
Excited. Elated. Enchanted.
These are just a few words to describe the feelings I had while watching the midnight premier of ‘Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince’ on Tuesday night. The tickets were bought days before hand, and I was accompanied by my Aunt and Uncle. Pulling into the parking lot you could see hundreds of people dressed up in Hogwarts and wizard gear, myself wearing my sweater and neck tie, ready for the excitement.
The line inside the doors was long, however with tickets pre-purchased, we were whisked away by the usher to theater 4. After much looking, we found our perfect seats, and settled in for the performance I have waited so patiently for since its push back from November 2008. It feels surreal that I am minutes away from the 6th movie of a series I love and will always recommend, as it is a book that bridges all generations.
The lights dim and the screen flashes eight previews before the 2 hour and 33 minute film that captures my undivided attention enchants me. When the final credits roll, with tears in my eyes, I realize that the wait was worth it, although there are a few criticisms I have for the writers of the script. Never completely satisfied in movies done from books, I have to conclude for the non-reader, the film was well done compared to the past few that had such holes in the story line that you were often confused if you had not pre-read the story line.
Obsessed, perhaps. Dedicated, most defiantly. Elated, there is no better word to describe. I recommend the movie to any fan, and someone that is looking for a movie that reminds everyone what it is like to be a teenager again, what it is like to be brave, and most importantly, that even if it is a fantasy world, there are dangers in the world that instill a bit of fear in us all.
Now only if there weren’t another year between the next film…

Kristin-
ReplyDeleteI love the way you listed words that described how you felt about the movie at the beginning! I kept those words in mind throughout the whole blog. I love to find fellow Harry Potter fans who have read all of the books! I feel like all my friends just watch the movies, and they don't know what they've missed out on! Glad you enjoyed the 6th movie! I can't wait for the last two!
Kristin - I could feel your excitement as I read. (I even found myself reading fast to match your level of intensity.) I love Harry Potter as well, although I don't have any outfits! I bought the first book for all of my nieces and nephews and they always remind me that I started it all for them. You must have started reading the series when you were in high school - correct?
ReplyDeleteYou used a few run-on sentences, but they work! It feels like you were talking to me and running the words together, (like my sister does ALL the time!). You have gotten me excited to see the movie! (I already was looking forward to it - but it sounds like this one won't disappoint!)
Marie,
ReplyDeleteYou were right, I did start reading the series in High School. Surprisingly it was for a summer reading book! Immediately I loved the series, and thus, the obsession began. I will always recommend this series to any family, as the book is enjoyable throughout the ages.
Kristin,
ReplyDeleteThis piece is great. I can feel your passion and enthusiasum. Just like with teaching, things always turn out better when you enjoy what you're doing.
After reading this I am that much more excited about going to see the latest Harry Potter movie. I read all the books and love comparing the films to the books.
ReplyDeleteI like how you described your experience of going to see the film. You write with a good style and chose perfect words to describe your trip to the movies!