Driving to New Jersey,
in a car all alone,
nothing on the radio
I'm like a dog without a bone.
After a month full of rain,
today the sun is out and hot,
and here I am stuck in the car
enjoying the nice weather I am not.
I am following the Garmin,
at 2:26 I am expected to arrive,
until I call my mother,
and she changes the way I am to drive.
The traffic starts to pile up,
and the minutes tick away,
the arrival time is now 3:09,
listening to my mother was not a good choice today.
I finally pull up to the house,
tired, hungry, and with full bladder,
and my cousins come running with hugs,
and suddenly the long drive does not matter.
Tomorrow we leave for the beach,
a group of 30 under one roof,
many adventures await us,
I promise to report back the truth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like fun! I had to laugh at the irony of a sunny day and being stuck in the car. I can definitely relate. Is the group of 30 all from your family? Do you do this every year?
ReplyDeleteYes, every year all of my mom's sisters and their kids, as well as my brothers and sisters. We always used to get together for June birthdays, but the family spread out around the country due to jobs and life happenings. So we get a house right on Long Beach Island, and spend the week together going to the beach, and all of the board walk activities. It is a lot of fun, and it's great to see everyone under one roof!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a clever way to describe something you do every year! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteKristin - I love poetry and your poem was a great way to share your ride with it's anticipation and frustration. How many rooms in this place that you stay at? 30 people!
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, there are only bedrooms!! One has two queen beds, one has 4 twin beds, one with a king bed, and the last another queen. Once the beds are taken we use air mattresses, the couches, and sometimes the floor. One year we pitched a mosquito net in the back yard beach area and slept out there. No one really cares where they sleep, as long as we are together :)
ReplyDeleteKristin- what a great poem! You were very descriptive as I could picture myself sitting in the car and just waiting to get to my destination.
ReplyDeleteHave fun at the beach :)